Friday 9 October 2009

I was slightly disappointed at the space we have been given to perform our stories. Perhaps I was expecting the rooms to be furnished and set out with props and mannequins that would make it look exactly like it would have during the time the house was built. I felt like I wanted to know more about what each room was used for and how it would have been set out, resulting in several rooms lacking in character and atmosphere. However, I was particulary interested in the maids corridors and bedrooms, which were tiny compared to the rest of the rooms. Several of the rooms had an eerie feel, which would be great to tell some sort of ghost stories (although not to scary because of the children, or perhaps there could be certain stories just for adults!??). Perhaps my initial disappointment was because I was more focused on telling stories that was not neccessarily factual but that were true of the era in which the house was made, however someone cleverly pointed out the fact that 'this project is about family fun' and is not a historical event.

4 comments:

  1. I agree we rather had to rush the tour, but I hope it gave everybody enough stimulation to go away and read more. I think the already house holds so many exciting stories and inspires so many others that all we need to do is work hard to uncover them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Hannah completely here and felt the same with regards to the history of the house.
    But never-the-less I think we should try and stay positive and work with what we have... =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the lack of historical information that came across when we were on the tour could perhaps be a positive thing. Not knowing what each room was used for and the way it was set out will allow room for our stories to be imaginiative and free from restrictions imposed by historical facts that could have been hard to escape from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Han I totally get what you mean about the space that we will be performing in, but I think it is more of a blank canvas so it will be easier to make it our own, think I just had something totally different in mind thats all...
    R x

    ReplyDelete